Group discussions are an inevitable part of gatherings whether they are at personal or professional front and rocking at them is an absolute art.
Here are a few readily implementable ideas to manifest the most powerful personality trait : ’the leadership’ during any type of group discussions.
- Keep the discussion on the track
- A lot of times discussions derail from the actual track and end up having completely distracted and unproductive discussion.
- If you sense the same happening, bring people back on the track by appealing to them to stick to the topic.
- Handle the chaos
- Chaos is bound to happen when people with different opinions are discussing together.
- If you can handle the chaos and conduct the discussion in a more coordinated way, that’s a great manifestation of leadership qualities.
- Encourage the strugglers
- Every group possesses people with different personalities.
- People who are submissive in nature are generally dominated by confident speakers and end up not speaking at all in the discussion despite several attempts.
- Encourage participants who have been trying to enter into the discussion.
- You can use your influence and seek a place for the strugglers in the group .
- Afterall, A powerful leader is one who empowers others.
- Find the middle ground
- A real leader is open minded , without prejudices and always tries to achieve a win-win situation.
- In group discussions, people might have extreme opinions and as a leader you have to find the middle ground and ensure a decent, civil and a fruitful discussion.
- Be active throughout
- Be active throughout the discussion by contributing to the discussion and also listening actively.
- Your speeches in the discussions should be so confident that everyone is bound to listen to you.
- And while you are not speaking, make sure that you listen attentively, take note and give verbal and non verbal cues encouraging other speakers.
- With these two gestures you establish yourself as a powerful, approachable and welcoming leader.
Leaders are needed everywhere however you don’t need a title to be a leader. A right attitude and courage to do the right things manifests the same.
All the best for your leadership endeavours.
Know more about Author: Pooja Katneshwarkar